Monday, March 12, 2007

Why anonymous?

I have fielded half a dozen seperate emails now, in which I have been thanked for my reviews, but also questioned as to why I choose NOT to sign my name. One reader even implied that I do not sign my name because I am "not confident enough" (untrue) in what I write in this e-journal.

Let me assure anyone reading these e-reviews that I am entirely confident in what I write.

First of all, as any reviewer (professional or otherwise) will tell you, reviews are based on the feelings and observations of the reviewer. Often they are coupled with the reviewer's expectations from a particular production, venue, actor or director. A review - at least from my perspective - is to let readers know whether or not a particular performance moved me or not and then why the performance did or did not achieve the desired result.

I have read numerous articles by the professional reviewers in town - i.e. the Free Times, Plain Dealer, Cleveland Scene and Mr. Berko - and have sometimes enjoyed performances they deemed to be sub-standard. There have been times where their opinions and sentiments echoed my own. Regardless, a review is a statement of opinion based on the writers' love of theater, arts background and estimations of a performance.

That being said, I remain anonymous mainly because I don't want to cause commotion in the theatres in which I review. I have been involved in performances where the entire cast has sent reverberations of "Guys...there's a reviewer out there tonight!" which puts many on edge. That is entirely unnecessary, especially in smaller venues where unpaid individuals give up their time and effort to give something back to the communities in which they live and work.

I like to see shows as they are....not when people are "kicking it up a notch" because the rumor has spread that a reviewer is in the house!

Read these reviews....agree or disagree, as you wish...I am not here to banter back and forth with individuals who disagree, as disagreement is your right and your privilege. What moves me may or may not move YOU.

Thank you, at the very least, for reading - and please continue to support live theatre in our community venues!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As an actor who's heard that hushed "there's a critic here", I agree.
I strive to hit that stage every night with my game face on. If I haven't this night, knowing you're there isn't going to help. It can only hurt.
I applaud you for giving up the ego-rush by arriving anonymously. Keep it up.

Cleveland Bob said...

As a fellow Blogger I must say it's quite impressive that you're getting as many hits and comments as you are considering that your site is barely up for a week now.

Secondly, as the actor playing John in The Constant Wife, I must agree with and thank you for your kind words regarding the performances.

Lastly, I think that it's swell that you're planning on staying Anonymous. Anonymity gives one a higher degree of impartiality. Additionally, as you've said, actors often get spooked when the reviewer is in the house and invariably alter their performance. Your insights ring true in the reviews that you've posted to date as I imagine so will future reviews as you’ve erased the added factor of heightened “actor awareness”.

Best regards...

Bob Goddard

Bryan said...

Remaining anonymous also gives you a larger degree of honesty. Especially since you said you are still active in the Cleveland theatre scene, all the more reason to be able to freely express your views without the political rammifications. Only now, we'll all be wondering who the Mystery Reviewer is and whether or not he or she walks among us!

I don't even mind that you thought my Camelot orchestra was weak. ;)